When students are exposed outside the four corners of a classroom, this connects them more with their field of study. An internship is a concept widely used by educational institutions to allow their students to experience the real deal with legitimate corporations and employers. Another term for an internship is cooperative education. The application of progressivism philosophy or learning through experience can significantly impact students’ education and future employment. This initiative increases the chances of good learning while in the working environment for an individual.
Before proceeding with the actual internship, there are specific requirements and agreements discussed by the institution and the partner employer.
Here are some of the understandings made:
1. The institution and employer must agree with the working hours of the students to avoid too much workload that can hinder the learning at school.
2. To secure the safety of the employer’s location, an ocular visit must be done. Only the identified area is allowed for the students to work in. Other places not stated will need permission from the institution.
3. The work done by students must only be related to his field of study. Extra work not associated is not allowed.
4. The institution and employer must agree if compensation is needed for the student’s performance.
5. Grades and suggestions from the employer are vital in the final marking of the students. A formal document should be submitted to the institution to review the student’s performance.
Advantages of Internship:
This type of learning allows the students to practice what they have been taught in school and learn its know-hows. Technical information and theories are taught in schools, but the actual utilization of these happens outside the classroom. Students are more likely to develop better if they can function in real-life situations. Discipline, manners, and character is established through communication with workmates and its everyday job. School can also benefit from having this program. The subject to be taught and curricula may be altered or adjusted depending on the recommendations of the employer. If an employer sees something lacking in the performance of students, the school may further strengthen teaching it through different means and lessons. This can help educational institutions to be more global in comprehending the necessities and ideals of companies.
Disadvantages of Internship:
While there may be a lot of benefits from the concept of school to work experiences, there are also some disadvantages that may occur. One good example is the school’s lack of supervision in the intern’s location. What happens in the workplace can only be known through the reports of both student and employer. Consistency in both statements may be difficult to recognize. Sometimes, employers give additional workload for the intern, which does not relate to his course. There are also instances where the intern is at fault and comes in late to his work.
All in all, cooperative education is vital for students to have an idea on their responsibilities and function in the future. Their integration in the society early in college increases and improves their skills as future employees. For those in luck, some employers who are amazed by the work of a student may absorb and hire him in the future.